Thursday, April 30, 2009

De Profundis

"I am the ultimate phase of the poetic temper on the way to becoming a sort of reformer on a small scale..."

Not really. In fact, more likely the converse: a little maggot hoping one day to become a fly.

Are maggots able to lead a poetic existence?

Moving along, it occurred to me this morning while walking to work that there are two kinds of people: meter maids and poets. The meter maids of the world live a life of rules and efficiency. They move swiftly among us, enforcing their code, making sure our wheels are cramped toward the curb, checking our registration stickers, occasionally measuring the distance between our tires and the curb. I am a meter maid, but don't take my job all that seriously.

The poets, on the other hand, live their lives amassing citations. Hundreds of little yellow envelopes accumulate on their windshield until one day their cars are towed away.

4 comments:

Margaritaville said...

What do you call the perv that sits in the car waiting for the meter maid to come by and issue a ticket and then jumps out and shoves coins down the meter's throat?

Whatever.

I'm that one!

Margaritaville said...

BTW, does it mean anything if I have to press the little wheelchair guy on the word capture? :(

Is anyone keeping tabs? I'm paranoid about this type of thing.

Anonymous said...

Nep is the king of all meter maids who believes himself to be the king of all poets.

Anonymous said...

I like this post. - nep