Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Dregs

The other day I was waiting for the light to change when I made eye contact with the beggar. Many people find ways to avoid looking at beggars. Sending text messages is a popular method. Perhaps a quick tweet.

But I eagerly wait to make eye contact with the beggars because I have nothing else to do. On this particular occasion the beggar came right up to my window. Her eyes were beaming and she was excited because she knew the surf had come up. She might have been drunk. "Surf was, gooooood, huh?" I was admittedly startled at first, but I ended up giving her a quick rundown my session: wave quality, water temperature, crowd vibe, where the sandbar was working--all the necessary info I'd give to a surfer thinking about paddling out... as though she should drop her sign, give up her post at the intersection and catch a few waves. She took it all in with apparent interest and delight. I think we bonded.

It only occurred to me after the light had changed, that I should have given her some money.

4 comments:

Eric said...

I see you and the beggar connected, whats your next step? A date perhaps?

Eunice said...

Tomorrow we drink wine.

Neal Anderthal said...

Seem to me this could work out for both of you.
Take her down to the welfare office and get her some food stamps. She can sell them to you for half price, cash. She gets her fix, you get steaks and lobster half price.

.. said...

Funny you should mention beggars.
At the Dollar Store one day this Mexicali
approached me. I saw him coming. I took my
time getting out of the car. He waited. Before
he could sputter "senora..." I told him,
"not right now." He told me he'd wait. It
started to rain and he followed me across the
parking lot. He whined of being cold and wet.
I turned around and looked at him and told him,
"put your jacket on then!" He got mad at me
and walked away. I guess he thought I wouldn't
notice the jacket that he had folded across
his arm.

I am notoriously generous when it comes to
beggars. Not because I want to. I'm guilted
into it. Matthew 5:42 says, "Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away." This is a source
of conflict for me.

Oops... this is your blog - not mines!